How to Choose the Perfect Men's Wedding Ring: A General Guide
When you're shopping for men's wedding rings, there are a few things you'll want to keep in mind. Not only do you need to think about the style of ring, but you'll also need to consider the type of metal, width of the band, and more. In this article, we'll offer a comprehensive guide on how to choose the perfect men's wedding ring. We'll also recommend some our favorites from our shop!
When you're shopping for a men's wedding ring, one of the first things you'll want to consider is width. Do you want a slimmer ring, a medium width ring, or a wider ring? Most men choose bands that are at least 6 millimeters wide, but it ultimately depends on your personal preference. Here are few things to consider regarding width:
If you have large hands or really want to make a statement, you may want to opt for a wider band. If you have small hands or prefer a more subtle look, a ring in the 5-6mm range may be more fit for your taste! The rings we offer typically come in 6, 7, and 8mm widths however any can be customized by request to meet your needs. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. We recommend visiting a local jeweler to try on a few different widths and find what suits you best.
There are a few things you'll want to keep in mind when choosing the material for your men's wedding ring. The most important thing to consider is durability and longevity. After all, you'll be wearing this ring every day so you'll want something that will wear well with time. Here are few of the most popular metals used for men's wedding rings:
- Gold: Gold is a classic choice for wedding bands and comes in a variety of colors including yellow, white, and rose gold. It's also a relatively soft metal, which means it may scratch more easily than some of the other options on this list.
- Platinum: Platinum is one of the most expensive metals used for jewelry, but it's also one of the strongest precious metals.
- Titanium: Titanium is an incredibly strong and durable metal. It's also hypoallergenic, meaning it won't cause an allergic reaction or turn your finger green. Titanium rings are also very lightweight, which makes them comfortable to wear.
- Zirconium: Zirconium is quickly gaining popularity for men's wedding rings due to its elegant black color. It's heavier than titanium but still extremely lightweight, and it's incredibly durable too. Zirconium is also hypoallergenic and won't tarnish over time.
- Tungsten: Tungsten is one of the most durable metals available, making it a great choice for men who work with their hands. It's much heavier than the other materials listed here, and is also virtually scratch proof. With that said, tungsten can also be brittle and crack if your ring is dropped onto a hard surface which is something to keep in mind!
Sizing and Resizing
One final thing to consider is sizing, and the ability to have your ring altered in the future. Of course most solid gold and platinum wedding rings can be resized by a qualified jeweler, including ourselves, but it's important to keep in mind that not all metals can be resized in the same fashion. For example tungsten and ceramic rings are unfortunately not able to be resized under any circumstances.
The simplest way to find a comfortable fit is to simply visit a jeweler, or order one of our handy ring sizers for FREE. You can also choose this option for size on any of our styles available. Online charts, printouts, the dental floss method, or any other home methods of sizing may get you close, however they aren't exactly a good representation of how your ring will actually fit.
Here at MN Handcrafted we can reduce the size of titanium and zirconium rings by up to 1 full size by adding a liner to the inside of your ring should you lose weight as time goes on. We can easily go larger up to 1 full size on Titanium and Zirconium rings by removing material from the inside. This however will make your ring a little thicker. Some styles may not be able to be resized, so don't hesitate to ask for more information on the style you're interested in!
For initial size discrepancies on alternative metals we will gladly exchange for the correct size for a small fee, as do most sources for men's wedding rings.
We hope this guide has helped you in your search for the perfect men's wedding ring! If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to us, we're always happy to help. Cheers!